Tuesday 24 April 2012

Task 2c reflective theory task

Since looking at this task it has made me think about my process when i 'reflect'. Normally this process is so automatic that it doesnt even cross my mind, it comes totally natural to me. Everday i reflect on how my day has gone, what could i have done to make it better? what will i do next time to further myself/child?
This is a diagram of how my thought process works of the top of my head

PLAN-what do i want to observe from this task? what will the chidren get from this task? does it need to be adapted to suit different groups of children?

THE TASK (be prepared to adapt if need be)

REVIEW-did the task work? did i get what i wanted from the task? how can i progress to the next step)

PLAN AGAIN-

I have been researching some practioners as this thought process has never really crossed my mind in such a formatted way and i have tried to link them in with the way my mind works when having to reflect.

John Dewey
Many times i have experianced and used the theories in my own work of John Dewey. I am a strong believer in using 'arts and experiance' as a process of learning and using them to reflect. I feel that sometimes it is the best way to teach something, no matter what our ability. I think arts and experiance is a way of reaching out to all of us as we can all relate to experiance and know that we have learnt from experiance. For example, i have always said that if a child climbs a tree and falls and breaks their arm, they will know not to do it again. (sounds harsh but im explaining that the child will automatically relate the pain that came with the experiance which will then teach the child not to do it again)
Like i have said above, i wouldnt reflect on my day with out having experianced it.
For instance, the first day i met my key child I knew i had to observe the child and take a step back as i did not know him or know his needs, abilties ect. That night i went home and reflected on the experiance of my day observing and wrote a list of things i would need to prepare over a few weeks. Everyday for a month and even to this very day the list changes as each day i experiance something knew about him that i didnt no.
It is the same when i have delivered workshops when i was at chicken shed. After every session we would gather the team and talk about what we had just experianced and how it went wrong then plan another session improving from the last one.

Donald Schon
Like the above, i use Donald Schon's theory on a day to day basis. Sometimes i say something, quickly reflect on it at that exact time then change it. For example, an autistic boy i work with responds to 'NO' instead of 'STOP'. But sometimes it is just human error that i say 'stop' instead of 'no', so my brain automatically thinks, 'why hasnt he climbed down from standing on the table, what did i say, oh i said stop' and before i know it 'NO' is coming out of my mouth.
Its the same for when i directed things in my end of year production. I would go into rehearsal with a plan in my head and within a matter of 5minutes i would realise something didnt work so have to 'think on my feet' and adapt and change it. This is a skill that i have learnt over time with different experiances and one that will continue to grow in the future.

Jenifer Moon
Jenifer Moon's theory is something that i have been doing since i started my job back in october, keeping a 'learning journal'. Part of my job is that i have to write a report and case study at the end of the academic year. It is not always possible to remember things that have happened during the day so by keeping this has enabled me to look back and see where things have changed, what has improved and what needs improving. I have done this by making important notes on a day to day basis or weekly basis on what my key child has done something different and if they are improving on something. For example when i first met one of my key children they did not know how to use the toilet, they would continually soil themselves and had no concept of using the toilet. Over time by logging strategies and keeping ote of the outcome it has enabled me each week to press on with another strategies that will take the child on to the next step. So now my child will use the toilet with just one prompt word. This for me makes me so proud, it shows that my hard work and detrmination has paid off. Also by keeping all the notes it enabled me each week to go back, think right what next and more the step on. I feel that this process is extreamly important in being successful in my profession of teaching.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, yes I agree that we often reflect automatically. Ofsted would probably want to see evidence of differentiation to enable different learners with vaarious abilities to make progress, through different tasks or outcomes. (I could not see a diagram?) gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry gemma i havent completed this task yet. will do so now. thanks for commenting
    emily

    ReplyDelete