Thursday 4 April 2013

Feed back from one of my Forums (Group Discussion)

This is feed back I have had from some of the questions I have been asking on a teaching forum. I have to say, it is providing me with some excellent insights into professionals thoughts and feelings on free play to explore  and making continue in questioning my Inquiry. Hard part is trying to keep all the information confided.

I have high lighted in blue some of the key point that answer some of my questions to help support to critically review, analysis and evaluate the findings during my inquiry.


"In Nursery and Reception, Play IS how children learn. It is fundamentally the way their 3, 4 and 5 year old minds take things in. Young children are natural explorers and curious with it. Free flow allows them the opportunity to play freely, explore their own ideas and understandings in their own way and develop it without limitations in order to consolidate . deepen or create new knowledge and understanding. 
It works in classrooms pretty much as you'd expect. Schools may approach it differently but in my school after a short focused letters and sounds activity or maths, the children 'get busy'. Some people call it 'choosing time'. People seem to be afraid to call it 'play' as if the word is dirty. Even some teachers. Play is hugely important both in Nursery and Reception although most schools will gradually add more structure in Reception over the course of the year so children are ready for the structure of Year 1. At my school though, because of the needs of our children, we also have a play based approach in Year 1 and it becomes more structured in Year 2. It can be difficult for some children to move from the play based approach in the EY to a more formal structure in Year 1. This might be something you might want to explore further. Only huge drawback I can think of is the mess! Everyday I have to remind the children that we need to put our toys away when we finish playing with them since toys on the floor is a safety hazard. I actually did a whole focused session with my class about WHY we need to tidy up. They hadn't a clue bless them! Also resources in the EY although durable are often put through stresses they just aren't made for in free play like being dunked in the water tray to play with even though they may not be waterproof. A big consideration as a teacher working in a play based curriculum is how to make the play more focused at times and how to follow the children's interests. Purposeful play is key. Adult observation and interaction is vital as well as planning and creating further opportunities for the children to deepen their understandings. I have had some issues with parents and understanding the importance and value of a play based approach but again, key to that is practitioners reflecting upon parental understanding and involvement and planning to help parents understand more. This could be through setting up a session or sending out leaflets."

No comments:

Post a Comment