Tuesday 2 April 2013

Forums


Just a little update for anyone that is interested... Has anyone started to look at forums to do with their subject area?

A long time ago I joined many teaching websites, this helped me to voice my opinions and find resources/support from other teachers around the world. Never did I think to use it to help my studies. A couple of weeks ago I decided to join the forum and start a conversation. WOW I did not realize I would get the response I did, some extremely positive and others very negative.

Let’s start with the negative; I got absolutely slatted for my spelling, punctuation and grammar (your prob thinking the same right now). I was so shocked at this because I had never really felt that people would get so offended by it! I understand it is important, especially as I would like to become a teacher and I’m on a forum for teachers, but I didn’t realize I would have to start to defend myself. The truth is, the post was written in a rush and without any consideration to its readers. At first I felt really upset by it. I felt like "how dare you judge me when you don’t know me". It was only when I reflected back on this more recently, it made me realise how careless and lazy I have become in regards to writing. Is that me to blame? Or is that society’s influences to blame? I never realised how reliant I have become on computers, I phones, I pads, smart phones to correct everything I write.

On the other hand I had some amazing, really kind people help me with my inquiry. They answered questions fully and questioned some of my questions, which helped me to think more deeply about why I have asked that? Is my question too basic? Have I made it clear enough what my subject area is? Do they understand what I’m asking? Etc. This helped me to start to develop my questions for interview along with the literature I have been studying. I took a step back and thought 'Right, I don’t want to have to do this again because what I am asking is not clear enough'. It actually took me about two weeks to figure what I wanted to ask and develop the questions with a good structure. From putting the work in first hand I know they are good questions and I will get full, quality answers from them. (But part of me has now realised that with every answer is going to get me questioning something else).

Before starting this course I don’t think I would have had that same mentality, it’s made me realise just how much reflection I now do on a daily basis. I am constantly questioning my motives in my professional life and actually my personal life. For that I think I am becoming a better person all round.

I would defiantly recommend joining some forums; it’s really helped me in my inquiry. Plus you can use it to support your evidence.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment