Thursday 4 April 2013

Making it a bit clearer....

So after blogging a few of the things i have been looking at into my inquiry, i looked back and thought someone reading it would think..."so what is her inquiry".
At the end of module 2 i still found myself thinking about what really interest me in my setting, i listed a few and this is what i then put forward for my inquiry proposal.
After looking back on my proposal plan and from Alans feed back i realised i had made my inquiry to big of a task for myself.
So i have narrowed it down to something i have questioned throught out my time in working in schools, specifically nursery and reception (Early Years).
My inquiry is basically a look at free flow play in an early years setting and finding out what is enough play for this age group and wether there should be more or less adult focus within a classroom.
 My inquiry leads me this way as i have been lucky enough to have experence in many different schools, each school is different, dinamic, and has different strengths and weaknesses. The one thing i have noticed from Nursery and Reception is the way the classrooms are run. Some teachers believe that it should be solid free play throughout the session, not many boundries and the children are allowed to get out what ever they want. A short time of phonic learning and mainly interaction with the adults during choosing time to extend their learning . Other Nurserys have a carpet time, they are taught to answer there name when the register is called, respond to questioning, take part in group learning of phonics, mathematics, literacy and science. They then are allowed to go and choose their activities which have already been set up for them. During their choosing time they are called to come and do an adult lead focus activity.
Through seeing both ways run positivly and successfully, it has made me question..... what is the right way?  is there a right way? is it down to the teachers descretion of how he/she wants her/his classroom run? or is the classroom run that way because of the presure from the top of the school? the push for maths and literacy to be taugh at such a young age?

Has anyone got any thoughts on this? Do you find yourself saying the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment